Right now in season: Asparagus and peaches!
All over the farmers markets lots of produce is slowly coming back announcing the abundance of spring harvest. And that includes green asparagus. When only using local produce this will be available for only a short period, so let us use it! Peaches have their season debut, too. They always remind me of hot summer days, and for me there is nothing like a bite into a juicy, ripe and sweet peach.
With the warm weather, I want to enjoy more fresh, cooling foods. One example would be the Cress and Radicchio Power Salad I posted summer last year. Now here is another rich and satisfying salad with plenty of vitamins and minerals for warm spring and summer days. As opposed to a more traditional way of serving the asparagus warm, in this recipe it is steamed and then served cold. It is paired with peaches to add some sweetness and a summer feeling.
Baby spinach and asparagus salad with peach vinaigrette
- 1 small bunch green asparagus, steamed until soft but still firm (about 15 minutes)
- 5,3 oz (150g) baby spinach, washed
- 4,3 oz (120g) approx. half a small head prepared radiccio, (cut into small pieces and washed)
- 1 ripe peach, thinly sliced
for the vinaigrette
- 1 ½ ripe peaches, quartered
- 2 ½ tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Cut the steamed asparagus into ½ inch (1cm) pieces; reserve a few whole for decoration if desired.
- Mix all the salad ingredients in a big bowl except for the peach.
- Make the vinaigrette: in a blender mix all the ingredients except for the olive oil until smooth. Then, while the blender in running, slowly add in the olive oil until well incorporated.
- Add the vinaigrette to the salad and toss gently until well coated.
- Adjust seasoning with salt if necessary.
- Garnish each plate with a few peach slices and one or two whole asparagus.