Coconut lime macaroons
makes 14-16 pieces
- 2 tablespoons aquafaba ( see top )
- 1 cup ( 90g) shredded coconut
- ¼ cup (50ml) soy milk or other plant based milk
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- Pinch salt
- Pinch vanilla powder
- Zest from 1 lime
- 4-5 drops lemon essential oils
- Preheat the oven at 320 degree F or 160 degree C
- In a small bowl, using an electric mixer, whisk the aquafaba until foamy and white, for about 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the shredded coconut, the soy milk, the coconut oil, the honey or maple syrup, salt, vanilla, lime zest and essential oils.
- Add in the whipped aquafaba and using a spatula or your hands mix the dough until it’s combined. The dough should stick together when trying to form small balls.
- Line a sheet tray with parchment paper. Using your hands form little mounds of dough and then press them together to form the macaroons and make them hold together.
- Bake at 320 degree F or 160 degree C for about 20-25 minutes until golden brown on the edges.
- As an option, you could finish them by dipping the bottom in some melted dark chocolate.
Note about essential oils: They are wonderful, too, to use in the kitchen. You can use them in sweet or salty recipes and their function in cooking is to enhance flavor. Be careful not to overdose them because they are quite intense/ concentrated. Keep in mind to use organic and natural essential oils when using them in the kitchen.