I tend to think that many of us eat more, and more heavily, around the holidays. Thus if you crave something fresh and tasty to balance all that food, what could be more suited than a light and juicy fruit salad with a hint of holiday flavors? The oranges and clémentines are perfect winter fruits that remind me of Santa and my childhood, while the honey and star anis are wonderful flavors found in some holiday cookies.
Orange and Clémentine Salad
- 2 oranges
- 4 clémentines
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 2 teaspoons honey (can be substituted with maple syrup)
- one eighth teaspoon star anis ground
- Peel the oranges and cut into suprême to obtain just the segment of flesh from the oranges without the skin. Work over a bowl to collect the juice. Put the oranges and the juice in the same bowl.
- Peel the clémentines and try to discard as much as white skin as possible. Separate the segments and add into the bowl with the oranges.
- Mix together the lemon juice, apple juice, honey and star anis and add into the bowl with the oranges and clémentines. Mix and let infuse for 1 hour or more .