I recently remembered that years ago I had a (non vegan) chocolate red wine cake recipe that I liked so much that I baked it many times. Inspired by these flavors I developed the following vegan muffin recipe. Chocolate, red wine and a hint of cinnamon form a perfect combination for the holiday season.
Red Wine and Chocolate Muffins
makes 7 muffins
Make sure that all the ingredients are at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- 120g (4.2 oz) whole wheat pastry flour
- 40g (1.4 oz) cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 80g (2.8 oz) brown sugar
- 130ml (½ cup) red wine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavor
- 45g (1.6 oz) coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 375° F (190° C) and prepare the mold by putting paper molds into the muffin pan.
- Make a flaxseed egg by whisking together 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds and 3 tablespoons lukewarm water. Whisk energetically until it starts to get slimy. Let rest and set aside for at least 10 minutes.
- In a big bowl, sift together the flour, the cocoa powder, the salt, the baking powder and the cinnamon. Add in the brown sugar.
- In another bowl whisk together the wine and the vanilla.
- In a third bowl emulsify the coconut oil with 1 tablespoon water. Whisk in the wine. Mix in the flaxseed egg.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Divide into the muffin pan and bake at 375° F (190° C) for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.