You cannot imagine how happy I am when in spring, back at the farmers market, I see more and more produce becoming available, especially after a hard and long winter like the one we had this year in NY. I love wandering through the market and discovering week after week which produce is back again. To celebrate the abundance and beauty of fresh and available produce I created this delicious creamy but light zucchini soup that I like to serve cool. Very few ingredients, easy to make and keeps well for the next day as well.
yields 7 cups or 1.7 Liter
- 3 medium zucchinis,1.5 pounds ( 670g), medium dice
- 2.1 oz (60g) scallions, sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, pressed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds ground
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 ½ cups (600ml) soy milk
- ½ cup (120ml) filtered water
- olive oil
- In a large pan, heat up a generous drizzle of olive oil and sauté the diced zucchinis with a pinch of salt for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the scallions and the garlic and continue cooking. Stir frequently.You might need to add a little bit of water to avoid sticking.
- When the zucchinis start to soften add in the tomato paste and the fennel seeds and another pinch of salt and continue cooking until the zucchinis are soft.
- Add 1 cup (240ml) of soy milk and cook for 3-4 minutes on low heat.
- Transfers to a blender. Add the remaining soy milk, the water and the lemon juice and blend at high speed until completely smooth.
- Adjust seasoning with salt. Serve at room temperature or cold.
Note: You can garnish your soup with a few drops of extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt like fleur de sel or a herb salt if you wish.